- Foundation for Neural Networks (SNN)
Department of Medical Physics and Biophysics
Radboud University Nijmegen
6525 AJ Nijmegen
- +31 24 3615040
- +31 24 3541435
and then add @science.ru.nl
- MBFYS seminars (biophysics)
- SNN Machine Learning seminars and reading club,
- Current interests
My main scientific interests are
- (Bayesian) machine learning
- Smart Research BV: Applications of neural networks and machine learning
- Methods for
modeling Bayesian networks
- Methods for
approximate inference in intractible graphical models
- Mult-agent planning
- SMART-RESEARCH BV is a spin-off company for commercial applications of neural nets,
Bayesian networks and other statistical modeling and reasoning techniques. I am executive vice-director.
Currently, we do quite well. Some recent projects that we are/were involved in are
- Bayesian networks for mass disaster victim identification (in collaboration with NFI, partially supported by ICIS (see below)).
The system is called Bonaparte. Check its website with live demo
(for forensic professionals only, you need to register for the demo). Bonaparte is now in use at Netherlands Forensic Institute (NFI), e.g. it has been used
to identify victims from the Afriqiyah aircrash in Tripoli, Libya and more recently to solve the Marianne Vaatstra rape-murder case. For press releases, items in the news (e.g. NOS journaal item) and awards, see the Bonaparte website.
- Wine advice: Neural networks and machine learning applied to learn the computer a taste for wine! Visit www.winewinewine.com, type your evening's dinner and find out what wine to drink!
- Bovinose: detecting estrus in cow using an electronic nose. See FP7 site for a more detailed description.
- Fraude detection in on-line transactions.
We are still proud on our
system for the prediction of newspaper sales, called JED, which is based on Neural Bayesian technology. It predicts
single-copy sales for individual outlets and also errorbars in this prediction. It can deal with missing values and it has
the ability that outlets learn from each other. Its main implementation has been at De TELEGRAAF, the largest Dutch newspaper. De Telegraaf saved several 100Keuros per year
by more efficient distribution of newspapers to the single-copy sales outlets.
- Bayesian networks (BayesBuilder) have been applied a.o. for a system for bearing fault analysis, a decision support system for geotechnical engineering, and for victim analysis (Bonaparte, see above).
- Scientific projects
- SUMO: climate modeling by Super Modeling. European project in collaboration with KNMI and other partners. Starts October 2010.
See EGU BLOG-POST.
- Previous scientific projects: ICIS
I have been involved in the ICIS project.
See theirwebsite for more information on this huge research project. I did research on
multi-agent systems in continuous space and time. In our framework, we can employ
techniques from graphical models.
With Bart van den Broek (Ph-D student) and Bert Kappen. See our recent UAI papers.
- Modeling of Bayesian networks, see BNAIC 2005 paper.
- Application of hybrid MCMC methods in inference with continuous variables.
- Application of Bayesian networks for forensic research (see above).
- Some other previous projects
- I worked quite a long time on research and development of Promedas, a medical decision support system
based on a large Bayesian network. We developed this system in collaboration
with domain experts from University Medical Center Utrecht. The period of mainly research is over, we managed to create
systems of about 10000 nodes.
Now a company, Promedas BV, is founded whose aim is to commercialize the system. See
Promedas for more info. You can try the system on-line (!)
from this site.
- We were partner in the Japanese Real World Computing Partnership (1992-2002). Some information can be found on our
RWCP - SNN homepage (local version).
Stimulation Initiative for European Neural Applications -Here you can find a number of
successfull neural networks applications and some more info. Note: these are old pages,
and will not be not updated! In particular email adresses and links will be outdated. However, the examples on the site are still nice illustrations of neural network applications.
- We have developed
a tool to build and evaluate Bayesian networks (downloadable and free for non-commercial purposes).
- Radboud University:
for Neural Networks
Vereniging Artificiele Neurale Netwerken